Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Half marathon training, running with my dog, and working from home

So, I decided it might be a good idea to start a blog to help me document my runs as I train for the upcoming Chicago Half Marathon as well as blurt out other random nonsense and insane ramblings.

I am into day 2 of a 5 week training program. 4 yesterday, 5 today. It was a bit rough in the middle of mile 3 and I walked a bit but I am glad I got out and beat the feet. I never went through the phase of the "feeling bad when I walk" problem like I have heard a lot of other runners have RUN into...haha...I love word play.

I have been running for a few years now, and last year my girlfriend and I adopted Billy.

Billy is my shadow, my training buddy, my long distance partner, and my "protector" from random ass rabbits on the LFT. He sure loves it when he see's a bunny. He never has the chance to get one as he is always on a leash and is never more than 2 feet away from me...but seeing his tail wag makes me smile every time regardless of how many miles deep I am. He motivates me to get up and out of bed more often than not and lace 'em up and hit the pavement.

I love it that I was able to work from home today after my run. It was a nice way to recover. Feet up, cartoons on, foam roller and stick at my disposal. What else can a man ask for? Well...a lot of stuff I guess. Like a sub 2hr half time. That is where my sights are set. Honestly I just want to beat my last poor showing of 2:22. I died at mile 10. My body just gave up on me...but I wasnt prepared. I didnt really train beyond my normal 3-4 runs a week, and I did not get as much hydration as I needed and I had no idea how to properly fuel during a race. I cramped up super bad...I was one of those guys...since then, I read a lot and I feel super comfortable with it now. I finsihed the Solider Field 10 miler with a very respectable 10min mile time.  I ran the entire time and did not walk once. That is always my goal during races. Yet if I have to walk...I walk.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment